13/08/2020

COLD COMFORT

Ant Wars 2: COLD COMFORT 

As soon as Nërp started to feel a little better he sent Jīqìrén out to let me know he was going to build a Cool Chamber, and since I was clearly feeling pretty wretched from the heat too, I was invited to share it with him.

I told Jīqìrén that I really didn't want Nërp overexerting himself in his current weakened state, but she said it was fine because actually he'd already finished it.
 
Leading me to the kitchen I saw that Nërp had added some kind of porthole to the fridge, and he was standing inside it staring out.
 
Jīqìrén opened the door and Nërp beckoned me in: 'Come inside, Wilson's New Dad – this will help you cool down and you'll soon feel entirely refreshed!'
 
My reluctance to stand in a fridge was overridden by my extreme discomfort, so I consented to enter, 'Just until I've cooled down a bit!'
 
I've been in here nearly half an hour now and I'm chilled to the bone. There's no room even to turn round, and nothing to eat except a few packs of Arnold's Park Termites... and I think my eyeballs are starting to freeze.
 
When I get out of here, I promise not to complain about the heat again, however hot it gets!
 
New Readers Start Here Nº 17
You have now met all of Wilson's immediate family with the exception of his Mum, the redoubtable MRS VERMILINGUA
• Great Gin Enthusiast and terrible cook – when Wilson says something tastes like Mrs V used to make, it's not a compliment.
• Very friendly, as evidenced by the size of her (still-growing) family.
• Camera-shy – this old Polaroid is the only picture of Mrs V I can find.
• Fun Fact: nobody knows Mrs V's first name – Wilson still thinks it's 'Mrs'!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment