05/05/2020

ORIGINAL WARHOL PRINTS FOR SALE

Wilson has a 'strictly limited' edition of what he insists are Warhol screen-prints for sale.

I asked him how much he wanted for one, but apparently all the best auction houses don't tell you the price, you have to apply – a sure sign that I can't afford one!


I was a little afraid that he might be accused of forgery or passing off, so I asked how he could sell them as genuine Andy Warhol prints when I'd watched him printing them only yesterday, and he drew my attention to the signature.


'Andy Warhol' I read aloud, but once he'd passed me a magnifying glass I could just make out that it had been subtly modified to read 'Antsy Warhol.' 


Touching the side of his snout with one claw, he whispered, 'Antsy was my graffiti nom d'artiste…'


I don't doubt that when Wilson fails to sell any of them we'll finish up with one gracing the living room wall… and the rest stowed in the spare bedroom.


Should you be sufficiently misguided to buy one of these 'future heirlooms', he cautions you to handle it with great care – partly because they're priceless cultural icons and partly because the ink is still a bit wet in places.



No comments:

Post a Comment