16/05/2020

FINISHED – BUT NOT COMPLETED

At long last (and with a bit of help from Byron) I've almost finished the jigsaw puzzle Wilson lent me – although it was not altogether the relaxing process he had promised. 

As I drew nearer to completing the puzzle, though, I did get a sense of… well, pleasurable anticipation – until I put the last piece in place and discovered there was still one bit missing – which rather diminished my feeling of achievement.


I searched everywhere – under the sofa, down the back of the cushions, I even went through the contents of the vacuum cleaner bag – without avail. 


Finally I gave up and confessed to Wilson that I appeared to have lost a piece of his jigsaw.


He glanced over his shoulder and whispered conspiratorially that it wasn't lost, he had removed it on purpose


Naturally I asked him why – he touched one claw to the side of his nose and explained, 'If everyone saw the puzzle finished it might discourage them from buying a copy when I start selling it – but if there's a piece missing, they'll be desperate to see how it looks when it is fully done! Clever marketing, eh?'


He glanced at the almost-complete jigsaw and admitted that the piece he'd removed didn't induce quite the sense of anticipation and tension he'd hoped for, adding, 'Perhaps I should have chosen a more crucial part than a bit of plain blue…'



No comments:

Post a Comment