25/05/2020

DESPERATELY SEEKING BYRON

Yesterday I said how Byron's knowledge of art is unrivalled – and it got me thinking.
 
I wonder whether he'd like to put his knowledge of art into practice, if he might like to start creating instead of talking about what others have created.
I set off to look for him but was intercepted by Wilson, who said he had a Serious Question to ask me.
 
'Could we,' he asked, 'have a short holiday?'
 
I explained that we were under lockdown and the whole country was forbidden to travel, except to get to work if you couldn't work from home… but he was ready with a counter-argument:
 
'I heard that we can go away on holiday, as long as we've got a young child with us – Antony – and providing we behave Responsibly and with Integrity – and I am both Responsible and Integral!'
 
Before I could formulate a reply, he continued, 'I hear that Durham is beautiful at this time of year, and there's Barnard Castle not far away!' 
 
I had to put my foot down and refuse, explaining that it would be illegal for me to drive up to Durham with him and Antony, because I'm not Dominic Cummings – the man who engineered the Brexit Referendum result and currently the de facto Prime Minister.
 
I know it's unfair, but this is what happens when you have confused messages: you get disappointed anteaters…
 
… among other things.
 
I set off to resume my search for Byron.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment