09/03/2020

HALF THE AIR IN A GIVEN SPACE

The Vermilingua Contemporary Gallery is due to open to the public in a couple of days, so my conducted tour must sadly draw to a close.

The final display on my visit consisted of a glass case with a couple of balloons in it. 


'Balloons With Two Artists' Breath?' I guessed.


'Absolutely not!' Wilson snorted, 'this is a totally different work based on a totally different concept… although I will concede that, like "Balloon With The Artist's Breath" it does feature balloons. This piece, however,  is based on an idea by Martin Creed, who half-filled rooms with balloons and made people walk through them.'


He paused while I considered this.


'It's in a small display case,' he continued, because we couldn't afford enough balloons to half-fill a whole room… and we couldn't actually spare a whole room either. It does lose rather a lot of its impact at this scale, I'm afraid.'




No comments:

Post a Comment