03/03/2020

EXHIBIT ONE

Passing through the dimly-lit Foyer we moved into the first Gallery, in the centre of which stood an empty display case.

I told them the boys that it looked very nice and asked when they would put their first exhibit inside. 


Wilson gave me a withering look and patiently explained that the exhibit was already inside.


I looked again and confirmed to my satisfaction that it was completely empty. 


I said, 'Wilson, the display case is completely empty!' 


'No it's not!' he replied, 'It contains a Conceptual work called "Miniature Zebra" by James Franco. It's on loan from The Praxis Gallery.'


I turned and stared again into the empty case, but Wilson directed my gaze to a small card affixed to the front, which read:

Praxis
Miniature Zebra
Adoption, 2011
A non-visible animal has been adopted. The owner picks their name, sex, and even their personality, with registration papers from MONA, which also has a record of all adoptions.
About 10 inches high, looks exactly like a real zebra, it is friendly and loves to sit in your lap. It loves non-visible toys as well as an endless supply of food and treats.
Guaranteed to be friendly and disease-free with all its shots and it lives for ever.❞

I straightened up and shook my head in disbelief.

'Her name's Bennet, by the way' Wilson added helpfully.


I hope I shall understand something before the tour is over…




No comments:

Post a Comment