31/08/2016

2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

As soon as we drove into our road I realised that there had been a delivery left on the front drive, meaning I wouldn't be able to park the car there.

I glanced across at Wilson and asked him, 'Any idea what that is? I'm guessing it's yours!'


Climbing out of the car we all inspected it curiously from a safe distance — all except little Antony, who declared in a wavering voice:


'Good News, everyone, I know what this is!'


He approached the box slowly, extended one forepaw and cautiously touched it... then jumped as though he'd received an electric shock.


He stood motionless with his eyes closed for a full minute while everyone waited expectantly, before finally announcing:


'It is as I suspected. It is the Obelisk from 2001 A Space Odyssey. I have now absorbed all the knowledge of the universe, and small plush toys will shortly develop a mission into Deep Space! Deep, Deep Space...'


Wilson snorted and shook his head despairingly, but Antony continued, 'In future, you may address me as Bowman. Dr Bowman.'



No comments:

Post a Comment