09/04/2016

PUNCHLINE PROBLEM

Wilson sat on the sofa and cleared his throat nervously. Antony nodded to him encouragingly and he began:

'Okay,' he said, 'There was this insomniac, agnostic, dyslexic man. Or woman. Person — it doesn't really matter.' 


He paused to giggle to himself for a moment, then continued, 'He lay awake all night wondering...' he snorted with suppressed laughter, 'if there really was a god!'


Antony nudged him and whispered something urgently in his ear, and his face fell.


'D'oh!' he exclaimed, 'I got the punchline wrong; he wondered whether there was really a DOG! He was Dyslexic, you see...'


I laughed enthusiastically. 


A lot. 


Everyone seemed satisfied, though Wilson appeared to be a little bit down, and later asked me what I'd thought of his joke.


I said it was indeed brilliant, but suggested it might help if in future he wrote his jokes down just in case he forgot any important bits in the excitement of telling...



No comments:

Post a Comment