23/07/2015

Acceptance speech

By the time the applause and cheering had died down, Wilson's cheeks were scarlet. 

He wiped his eyes with the backs of his paws, took a deep breath and said, in a voice choked with emotion, 'Thank you everybody — this is the best day of my life! Although I am still quite young, so I may experience even better days in the future, I don't even know.'

He thought for a few moments before continuing, 'This Medal, awarded to me for Extreme Bravery in Difficult Circumstances, which I shall call my BDC Medal, it means even more to me than my OBE (which The Queen has still not ratified) because it comes from my friends and family! That being so, I hereby revoke my OBE!'

His audience fell into a stunned silence. Uncle Zoltan coughed; his hat fell off, rolled across the table and fell to the floor.

'I shall return it to Buckingham Palace, if I can remember where I put it, and I shall henceforward be known as Wilson Vermilingua, BDC, nOBE!'

He sat down, still blushing, to more applause and everyone crowded round to congratulate him and get a closer look at his BDC medal.


No comments:

Post a Comment