11/06/2020

MY ARTISTIC HERO


The Museum of the Moon was surprisingly popular, so Wilson has been devoting a bit more time to his little Art Gallery. 
 
At long last, he has 'acquired' something I can really relate to – a work by my artistic hero Mark Boyle!
 
I first became aware of artist Mark Boyle when he was doing Liquid Light Shows at various London underground clubs – UFO, Middle Earth etc – in the 60s.
 
My acquaintance was renewed when I stumbled across his Journey to the Surface of the Earth show at (I think) the ICA, where I was transfixed.
 
The entire Boyle Family has made a lifelong work of (among other things) Earthprobes: scrutinising and replicating fragments of reality, cloning randomly chosen little areas of ground using fibreglass and original found materials and presenting them back to the viewer as three-dimensional constructions indistinguishable from the real thing.
 
Byron and I stood in front of this work and admired it at some length, and I sincerely thanked Wilson for allowing me to see it.
 
Later, gazing out of the living room window, I noticed a large hole in the road at the bottom of the drive which I'd never noticed before!
 
Surely he hasn't…
_____________
 
There's a lovely film about Mark Boyle here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwFaGh_QpDM
 

No comments:

Post a Comment