08/06/2018

RING THE BELL

Next on the boys’ list of Things To Do was to win a prize on a Test Your Strength stall.

As it happened, the mallet was too heavy for them even to lift unless they carried it between them, so they appealed to me to demonstrate my virility and win a prize for them.


It will probably come as no surprise to you to learn that this demonstration of muscularity on my part ended ignominiously – the bell did not ring, although I did get seriously out of breath and had to have a bit of a sit down on the grass.


I’m not certain, but I thought I saw a fleeting look of disappointment pass briefly across Wilson’s face.


Anyway, I took the lads off to see some of the traction engines, and promised them something nice in the Refreshments Tent later…


No comments:

Post a Comment