03/09/2016

GRAND REOPENING

First thing this morning Wilson received a special Express Delivery from Amazon.

It contained some balloons, a big drum of red ribbon and a pair of giant 'ceremonial scissors.'


After coffee we loaded them into the car and drove into the village, where the High Street was due to be re-opened after months of roadworks. It took us a little while to park, as today is also Uckfield Carnival Day so the village was extra busy.


We arrived a few minutes before noon, and Wilson carried all his stuff over to the corner at the bottom of the High Street. When he looked around, his face fell.


'The road's already open!' he exclaimed, 'And I haven't DECLARED it open yet!'


Cars were speeding up and down the High Street, so there was little chance of stretching his red ribbon across it, let alone standing in the middle to cut it!


I asked him, 'Who invited you to open the road?'


'Well, no-one actually INVITED me,' he replied. 'it's just that I am Uckfield's most famous resident, I'm a friend of the ex-mayor, I have the Freedom of Uckfield and I'm a Road Safety Campaigner — I just, well, I just assumed...'


I asked him if he'd like to go on to see the Carnival or visit the Fun Fair, but he said he wasn't really in the mood any more.


We loaded the stuff back into the car and drove home...



No comments:

Post a Comment