22/06/2016

SALES FIGURES

Towards the end of the day I went up to see how the boys were getting on at the Tomato Stall. 

Wilson consulted briefly with his Sales Manager Tiny Toy, then reported that sales had been 'disappointing.'


'So how many tomatoes did you sell?' I enquired. There was a further consultation with TT before Byron admitted they had sold 'Less than one.' 


'None!' Wilson confirmed.


After all their hard work I felt really sorry for them, so I said I would buy all their stock.


'So, three tomatoes at 75p each, that's £2.25,' I said, handing over a £5 note.


Wilson sighed and shook his head, before explaining to me, in the manner of one addressing a simpleton, that I didn't understand the laws of Supply and Demand: The first tomato was 75p, but once that was sold it increased the scarcity of tomatoes so the remaining two would cost £1 each... except that once there was only one tomato left there would be an even greater scarcity surcharge meaning that one would cost £2.


I raised my eyebrows in disbelief, but said only, 'So three tomatoes are going to cost me £3.75?'


Everyone nodded in agreement, but Wilson added that since he didn't have any change he was willing to round the price up to £5!


If this boy isn't a millionaire soon, I shall be astonished...



No comments:

Post a Comment