22/11/2014

Multiversal problem

Just as I feared, Wilson did notice the New Scientist Special Edition in the recycling, and is poring over the How To Live In The Multiverse feature.

These metaphysical, 'spacey' articles always unsettle him, and he keeps asking me how he can transfer into the universe where he's a millionaire… 
then reflecting that might be the same universe in which I'm an evil New Dad… 
then realising there'll be another where he's rich and I'm not evil, and wanting to know how to choose the right universe when there's an infinite number to choose from.

Or: 'If everything happens in one universe or another, what does it matter if I'm naughty in this one? I've got to be naughty in some universes, or the Law of the Multiverse will be broken!'

I really don't know what to say to him, but recalling the advice the psychiatrist gave me the last time he had one of these 'Reality' crises, I think a brisk walk in the woods is called for.

As soon as it stops raining...


No comments:

Post a Comment