26/08/2014

Wilson is on top of the world!

Wilson was very, very excited about his microscope, but he consented to proceed to Durlston Country Park just outside Swanage, where there was something I thought he'd enjoy seeing: a giant globe of the earth.

In the event, it seems I'd over-sold it to him. 

'It's not giant at all, New Dad!' he remarked scathingly. 'It might be giant when compared to a grape, or ping-pong ball, or even a football… but compared to the World, well, it's tiny!'

Nevertheless his disappointment didn't prevent him from climbing over the fence and clambering up the globe until he bestrode the North Pole like a Colossus and shouting, 'Made it, Ma! Top of the world!' as loud as he could.
'What are you doing?' I called up to him.

'I'm re-creating the final scene from "White Heat" the iconic 1949 gangster movie!' he shouted down to me. 'I'm James Cagney!' 

'You dirty rat!' called Antony...


No comments:

Post a Comment