13/12/2013

I explain an ancient tradition...

Late last night there was a ring on the front door bell. Wilson answered it, to find a small, sullen-looking child singing an approximation of Once In Royal David's City. W and I shuffled our feet and glanced at each other, embarrassed, as he launched into the second verse, whereupon I gave the boy a £1 coin.
 
He immediately stopped singing, turned on his heel and walked away.
'Happy Christmas!' I called after him.
'Whatever!' he replied, without looking round.
'Well I never!' exclaimed W. 'What was that about? Did you give him the money just to get him to stop making that awful noise?'
  
I sat Wilson down with a mug of hot chocolate and a mince pie while I explained to him the traditional ritual of Christmas Carol Singing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment