26/01/2013

A misunderstanding


When Wilson returned from the village with his gladiolus, I mentioned the phone calls and gave him the numbers. 
Later I caught a snatch of one of his conversations: 'Well, what time is it there? … Really? … No, I don't think I can make that in time…'
When he'd hung up, he explained that there had been a 'misunderstanding' when he placed the adverts for his Coffee Delivery Service in the local newspapers. I raised my eyebrows questioningly, and he elaborated, explaining that he had no idea there was also a Brighton in Brooklyn. And in Colorado. And Boston. Likewise a Worthing in South Dakota, a Newhaven in Connecticut and a Lewes in Delaware. 
'I did wonder,' he reflected, 'why all the adverts were priced in $… maybe that should have been a clue.'


No comments:

Post a Comment